MINUTES OF MEETING
HELD TUESDAY 10th February 2015
North Sunshine Tennis Club
Present: Ingrid Duenzl, Tony de Gabriele, Linda Roberts, Gerard Morel, Richard Piesse, Gordon Simpson, Anne Beevers, Colin Dunne, Karin Saliba, Martha Ragg, Glenda and Peter Kueng, Renate Haehnsen,
Guests: Ash, Dominique
Apologies, Avis Dunne, Ferdi Saliba, Rosemary Armstrong;
Meeting opened 7:10 pm.
- President welcomed guests and members to the new venue for this year.
- Minutes of Last Meeting
- Minutes be accepted – moved Tony, seconded Richard.
- SITE REPORTS
- Buckingham Reserve – Tony reported on having seen some plant guards spread around the edge of the riparian area with no plants in them. Martha said she would ask Tracy what these were about.
- Midweek Working Group – The group was a finalist in the Environment Achievement Awards and though not a winner, this nomination recognizes the continued efforts being made by this dedicated group.
- Carter Street – No Activity.
- Davitt Drive – Hand watering of the embankment has been carried out;
- Jones Creek – Plants are general OK. Watering is being planned to ensure they continue to thrive. Some further work is needed to remove guards and stakes, and in-fill planting to discourage motorbike access. Further grant expenditure is planned to continue to maintain this site.
- RMIT Students – Upper Kororoit Creek Site – Melton
- Ash provided some new information on the work on this site:
- Site is going well with boxthorn removal planned for Sunday 15 February.
- The plants for the next stage will be ordered soon.
- Watering has been achieved by accessing the neighbour’s site with their permission.
- TREASURER’s REPORT
- Balance of the account is around $13,500 however, from this are commitments to a number of projects that are awaiting invoices.
- Treasurer will write to Orica to see whether they will provide a grant or a donation to the group as they have in the past.
- Meeting was held Monday 8 December. March 16 will be the next meeting. Nil to report.
- Thiess grant money remaining will go to pay for replacement plants and maintenance of the site along the bike path south of Buckingham;
- Jones Creek grants one and two has money remaining which will be spent on maintenance;
- Infill is being planned for Jones Creek as well as extending the planting to the other side of the creek. Sloping areas will need more attention to retain water to the plants. Options include jute mats, other type of mats and selecting plants with fibrous roots.
- MELBOURNE WATER – Gerard Morel
- Asbestos discovered around the Electrical Transmission Easement will be removed.
- EPA served Melbourne Water with notice of asbestos in the silt down near the old Wunderlich site. The pile is near a creek, but is buried and not representing a hazard.
- BRIMBANK COUNCIL REPORT – Martha Ragg
- the mid-week group will be asked along to meet other friends groups in the next month or so to share ideas.
- Friends Agreements are also on their way, including the $500 grant for each sub-group.
- It was good to see that locals along the creek are organizing to do their own clean-ups and plantings, including people in Fraser Street, Ardoyne Street and from the Sunshine Heights Primary School. Some are using Facebook to organize events.
- Grants will see some mosaic work around Selwyn Park to beautify the concrete.
- Brimbank Sustainability Expo was coming on the 21st February and the Friends groups would have a tent, with FOKC attending;
- Clean Up Australia Day is on Sunday 1 March with Brimbank doing Selwyn Park.
- GENERAL BUSINESS;
- President has written to the council about a sign to let locals know about the Friends group. Further discussion to occur.
- The new venue was discussed and the next meeting will be on Tuesday 21 April. After that, discussion needs to occur with the Tennis Club to get some final dates that suit both them and us;
- Report from Tracy at Brimbank was tabled;
MEETING CLOSED approx 8:10 pm
Next Meeting – Tuesday 21st April
DON’T FORGET OUR WORKING BEES – TURN UP FOR AS LONG OR LITTLE AS YOU LIKE (10.00 – 12.00)
BUCKINGHAM RESERVE WORKING BEES – 1st SATURDAY IN THE MONTH
CARTER ST WORKING BEES – To be advised
MID WEEK MAINTENANCE GROUP – 1st and 3rd THURSDAY of the month (weather permitting)
DAVITT DRIVE WORKING BEES – To be advised
PROPOSED SCHEDULE OF MEETINGS FOR 2015
(Meetings are now at the North Sunshine Tennis Club)
Others to be notified when finalised at the new venue
All meetings will be at 7pm unless otherwise notified