MINUTES OF MEETING
HELD TUESDAY 11 August 2015
President: Linda Roberts
Secretary: Tony de Gabriele
Treasurer: Linda Roberts
North Sunshine Tennis Club
Present: Linda Roberts, Gerard Morel, Ashley Renaut, Gordon Simpson, Louise Nicholas, Jodie Williams, Jessica Gerger, Richard Piesse, Anne Beevers, Avis & Colin Dunne, Renate Haehnsen, Ferdi and Karin Saliba, Tony de Gabriele, Luke Duggan,
Apologies, Peter and Glenda Kueng. Dominique Wisniewski, Ingrid Duenzl, Rosemary and Wayne Armstrong
Meeting opened 7:05 pm.
- A quick introduction and welcome was conducted by President Linda Roberts.
- Minutes of Last Meeting
- Minutes were taken and accepted as read.
Moved: Gordon Seconded: Linda
- SITE REPORTS
- Buckingham Reserve:
- A walk around was conducted to see what maintenance could be done and there are number of places where infill planting, weeding and guard removal should be done in the future.
- Brimbank have provided a plant list of the bush and tree species used around the children’s playground and this can be considered for future planting project.
- Planting will be going ahead near the creek around the Royal housing development on Wright Street;
- Midweek Working Group: – Returned to Gurnung Drive, and the plants are flourishing.
- Carter Street – No Activity
- Davitt Drive – Forty plants have been planted out. Gel will be dropped off at Linda’s to be used on other projects. Fences have been installed to prevent vehicle access and Melbourne Water will be placing large rocks for the same reason in this area.
- Jones Creek:
- Caroline Chisholm College helped plant in this area recently. The planting was successful with around 600 plants put in the ground. Mulching and more planting is planned for 16 August with assistance from the Phu Dong Scout group.
- Still awaiting funds from DKM for the restoration after the burst pipe event – they have been invoiced and about $1000 is expected.
- Beautiful Brimbank group:
- Regular clean ups were held at Arthur Beachly and Boreham Steet with 27 cubic meters of rubbish, (including 154 syringes) collected. Eleven people contributed to this fantastic effort.
- The group have spoken to Melbourne Water (Barry Cartledge) about the rubbish on the creek. Some action by Melbourne Water is expected for 12 August.
- Meeting was held with Dept of Corrections. They can provide labour to help with planting projects, but equipment needs to be provided by the group. Future prospects for the use of this labour are many.
- A litter Hotspot Grant will be applied for with three possible options: Gross pollutant traps in drains; An art project raising rubbish awareness, or stenciling to create decals on drains (a sample can be seen in Paisley Street Footscray
- Jones Creek – Phase 3 Project
- Scout Group will be assisting with plantings on Sunday 16 August between 10 and 3pm.
- The aim will be to do infill planting in the destroyed area, mulching and other maintenance.
- National Tree Day, Sunday 26th July
- Planting was carried out at Ardoyne street with the help of the Phu Dong Scout Group;
- Friends of Lower Kororoit Creek had about 400 people turn up to help plant including contributions from Toyota, State Government and Hobsons By council.
- The idea was raised that if Toyota can provide this type of support for FOLKC would it be possible to pursue Orica to do similar legacy planning with FOKC?
- RMIT Students – Upper Kororoit Creek Site – Melton
- The next planting day will be Saturday 22 August.
- A management plan for the site is being put together;
- TREASURER’s REPORT
- Balance approximately $1300
- Balance of money not committed to projects is approximately $1000 with $1000 expected from the DKM restoration.
- Ferdi to forward the minutes of the last meeting;
- Need to ask Dominique if she can attend future meetings;
- President made a request for photos before and after plantings to help with grant acquittals;
- With the potential for future projects, a sub-committee will be formed. Karin, Anne, Gerard, Jessica and Louise offered to assist.
- Anyone with suggestions for projects should send them to these members for consideration;
- GENERAL BUSINESS;
- Luke provided information on the proposed website.
- Aiming for an active website where project, reports, photos are continually uploaded;
- Contributions need to be made including photos and descriptions so that website viewers see an active group;
- Luke provided information on the proposed website.
- Project goals and related events can also be put on the website to ensure that viewers know what is going on and can contribute;
- Luke is available to help, but the more people contributing the better the website will be;
- Other options to promote the group through the website include: a newsletter, references to associated groups (Facebook pages); a calendar of events and blogs;
- Using DROPBOX will help with sending photos and other files. Members will need assistance with this technology;
- The current FOKC logo is to remain as is;
- Green Waste
- Since green waste collection was ceased by the council, some people have been dumping their green waste near the creek and parks;
- A request was made to write a letter to the council proposing a request service, where people could request the council to pick up their green waste once a year. This would be similar to current practice at Wyndham council where this is done.
- The idea at Brimbank was that the green waste would be done at the same time as the Hard Waste collection, but the time of the collection does not match the time of people pruning;
- Another option would be to ask the Council to enforce their laws more effectively when it came to the dumping of rubbish;
- Trailer Maintenance
- The trailer is stored at Orica, so only those people who have been inducted by Orica will be allowed on site;
- The option to take the trailer off site to do the maintenance is a possibility, but a site needs to be arranged;
- Main maintenance is occurring in any case including paying of the registration and air in the tyres.
- The prospect was raised of having a list of trailer contents to help with future stocktaking placed on the walls.
- Greg Hunt the Federal Minister for the Environment attended the FOLKC planting and talked about the 1 million trees project.
- Brimbank and other councils have signed up to this project and therefore have funding for putting trees in (not shrubs or other plants). There is a need to find places to plant these trees.
- The project is over a number of years and in Brimbank this would be 10,000 trees per year over 10 years;
- Greening West has a list of groups but FOKC is not on the list. Need to get on this list to help with future projects;
- There is a need for more water crystals. Gerard to provide a receipt after purchase – expecting to spend about $200;
- Discussion was held on Public Liability Insurance. Coverage for FOKC depends on the grant with either Melbourne Water, or Brimbank providing coverage under their insurance.
MEETING CLOSED 8:40 pm
Next Meeting – AGM Tuesday October 13
DON’T FORGET OUR WORKING BEES – TURN UP FOR AS LONG OR LITTLE AS YOU LIKE (10.00 – 12.00)
BUCKINGHAM RESERVE WORKING BEES – ON HOLD – To be advised
CARTER ST WORKING BEES – ON HOLD – To be advised
MID WEEK MAINTENANCE GROUP – 1st and 3rd THURSDAY of the month (weather permitting)