MINUTES OF MEETING
HELD TUESDAY 11th November 2014
Visy Hub Sunshine
Present: Ingrid Duenzl, Tony de Gabriele, Linda Roberts, Gerard Morel, Richard Piesse, Gordon Simpson, Anne Beevers, Colin and Avis Dunne, Karin Saliba;
Guests: Ash, Alanna, Sam and Lucy from RMIT
Apologies, Glenda and Peter Kueng, Renate Haehnsen, Ferdi Saliba, Rosemary Armstrong;
Meeting opened 7:10 pm.
- President welcomed guest Ash Renaut who is an RMIT student working on projects with Gerard.
ANNUAL GENERAL MEETING
- PREVIOUS MINUTES, REPORTS
- Reports were tabled from the President, Secretary and Treasurer;
- Election of Office Bearers
- The election of position holders then took place with the outcomes as:
- Historian – Renate – nominated Linda; Seconded Avis – Elected;
- Treasurer – Avis – nominated Linda; Seconded Karin – Elected;
- Vice President – Gordon – nominated Tony, Seconded Richard – Elected;
- Secretary – Tony – nominated Linda; Seconded Gerard – Elected;
- President – Linda – nominated Karin, Seconded Avis – Elected;
Normal Business Meeting
- Minutes of Last Meeting
- SITE REPORTS
- Buckingham Reserve – Some boxthorn removal took place, including cutting and painting. Many plants still remain on the northern side of the playground.
- Midweek Working Group – Weeding activity around Dundalk Street. Photos are available for the website.
- Carter Street – No Activity.
- Davitt Drive – More work is planned, including the planting of poas;
- Jones Creek – Some activity with guard removal though some plants have been knocked over by trail bikes and other vehicles. Opportunity to use grant money to do some of the maintenance.
- RMIT Students
- The guests spoke about themselves and the work they have been doing.
- They have been working on the project at Rockbank on the Melton Highway, adding 220 plants;
- Two property owners are on board with one helping by watering and allowing use of his shed.
- Grant money is assisting with this project work;
- All the guests indicated how this work will help them with their learning and their careers;
- TREASURER’s REPORT
- Remaining grant money is approximately $15,000 with commitments for maintenance work on the various projects to come, including replacement plants;
- Meeting to be held Monday 8 December at 2:30pm at the Hunt Club for those who may be able to attend.
- Nil to Report
- MELBOURNE WATER – Gerard Morel
- Desert Ash to be treated around Buckingham Reserve;
- In 2015 expecting plantings to occur between Somerville Road and Geelong Road, with Transpacific and Melbourne Water working on these projects;
- Sunshine Heights Primary School need assistance from the group for a grant to allow them to do some work along the creek;
- Melbourne Water is reorganizing, however while Gerard’s area may change further clarity will come in the next few weeks.
- Forrest Street near the railway line – contractors have sprayed and slashed and planting is planned;
- Gerard was scheduled to meet Rose Natale and Kelleher Lawyers on 12 Nov, regarding the 100 m boundary on the creek for new developments and the impact on the Growling Grass Frog;
- GENERAL BUSINESS;
- Discussion was had on trying to get new members – use of an ad in the paper, other means;
- New venue for future meetings will be the North Sunshine Tennis Club – no need to cancel Visy Hub because no future bookings have been made;
- Report from Tracy at Brimbank was tabled;
- Information was received about an extension of the bike path through Brooklyn across the bluestone bridge. Linda to send an acknowledgement.
- A reminder that the Annual Volunteer Recognition Dinner will be held on 11 December
- It was decided not to renew as a charitable organization for the Victorian Committee on Gambling and Liquor Regulation
- Recognition of Peter and Renate who have recently been through poor health, but are now on the mend;
- Annual Statements to be signed at the end of this meeting;
- Christmas Dinner to be moved to 2 December – communications to go out;
MEETING CLOSED approx 20.45pm
Next Meeting – Tuesday 10th February
DON’T FORGET OUR WORKING BEES – TURN UP FOR AS LONG OR LITTLE AS YOU LIKE (10.00 – 12.00)
BUCKINGHAM RESERVE WORKING BEES – 1st SATURDAY IN THE MONTH
CARTER ST WORKING BEES – To be advised
MID WEEK MAINTENANCE GROUP – 1st and 3rd THURSDAY of the month (weather permitting)
DAVITT DRIVE WORKING BEES – To be advised
PROPOSED SCHEDULE OF MEETINGS FOR 2015
(All second Tuesdays of the month at 7 pm now at the North Sunshine Tennis Club)
Others to be notified when finalised at the new venue