MINUTES OF MEETING
HELD TUESDAY 21st April 2015
President: Linda Roberts
Secretary: Tony de Gabriele
Treasurer: Linda Roberts
North Sunshine Tennis Club
Present: Tony de Gabriele, Gerard Morel, Richard Piesse, Gordon Simpson, Anne Beevers, Karin Saliba, Ferdi Saliba, Dominique W, Louise N, Ash.
Apologies, Ingrid Duenzl, Linda Roberts, Colin Dunne, Martha Ragg, Glenda and Peter Kueng, Renate Haehnsen, Avis Dunne, Rosemary Armstrong;
Meeting opened 7:05 pm.
- In the absence of the President, the Secretary welcomed all attendees and brief introductions were conducted.
- Minutes of Last Meeting
- Minutes were taken and accepted as read.
- SITE REPORTS
- Buckingham Reserve – No activity, and possibly no activity until after June. The plantings from last year south of Buckingham need refreshing.
- Midweek Working Group – The next meeting is planned for Thursday 23 April, when the group will do some planning with the Brimbank Environment team. Richard to ask Avis to email the Secretary a copy of the plan of works so that it can be published on the website.
- Carter Street – No Activity.
- Davitt Drive – Planting has finished and some watering and guard removal has been done. Gerard and Karin will discuss off-line other plant strategies in the area. Estimated success rate of plants surviving is 40%.
- Jones Creek – A problem with the new water pit has been identified with drinking water flooding the planted area south of Ballarat Road. This appears to be a burst water main from the recent works carried out in this area. Gerard will make some calls to ensure City West Water know about this problem and about our planting.
- Jones Creek – Phase 3 Project
- Date for conducting the next round of planting is Sat 27 June at 10 am to ensure there are no other competing plantings;
- Notes from the President indicate that the Scouts should not be involved given the nature of the terrain.
- Gerard will draw up a flyer and members will help distribute in various areas around the area;
- The most likely site will be the west side of Jones creek to ensure that the planting is clear of the new burst water main;
- Ash offered to mention this activity through his RMIT channels;
- Louise offered to mention this activity on the Sunshine Facebook page;
- RMIT Students – Upper Kororoit Creek Site – Melton
- Ash provided some new information on the work on this site:
- The issue of removing the Prunus species needs further thought as they form bird habitat;
- Weed removal of boxthorn and prickly pear is being contracted and quotes have been received with some big differences between the contractors;
- A contractor has been selected so an invoice will be coming in soon. This should be emailed to the President with a copy going to the Secretary;
- The cost will be about $3500 which is available from the grant;
- Plants have been ordered and the planting date is set for July 19 with another in August if needed;
- Gerard will be meeting with Parks Victoria next week to talk further about this site;
- Gerard and Ash will see if they can get other RMIT involved;
- TREASURER’s REPORT
- As reported last meeting the balance of the account is around $13,500 however, from this are commitments to a number of projects that are awaiting invoices;
- President has written to Orica to see whether they will provide a grant or a donation to the group as they have in the past.
- Meeting was March 16. Ferdi reported that the site has a historical overlay and a submission has been made to Brimbank, but Orica would not divulge any of their development plans;
- They are setting up a water treatment plant on the corner of Station and Tilburn Roads to treat the underground water table.
- Brimbug are interested in working to get a bike path in the area around the Deer Park Hotel (which is owned by Woolworths making progress very difficult)
- Gerard is keen to get Orica to put more effort into plantings and restoring their land given their custodianship over the last 100 years or so.
- The next Orica meeting is expected to be in June sometime (being every 3 months on a Monday at 2:30pm). Gerard will provide Dominique with the details via email.
- Nothing new to report
- No new grants sought or obtained.
- MELBOURNE WATER – Gerard Morel
- Melbourne Water has grants coming out in October which should be considered by the group to progress the signs project
- The new State government has required all board members of various agencies to apply for their jobs again and this might be as a means of making these agencies focus on the problem of climate change.
- The “Water for a Growing West” project will be pushing a pipe through some important remnant grasslands vegetation along the Kororoit Creek in Deer Park. Revegetation is part of the project and also includes placement of rocks to ensure the site looks original. The area is around Abercairn Court in Deer Park.
- BRIMBANK COUNCIL REPORT – Martha Ragg (by email)
- Grants of $500 for each sub-group are there to help with purchasing material for FOKC’s work. Sources are ArborGreen and SureGro.
- Karin will see about getting some plant dams for planting on the slopes near Davitt Drive and other places.
- Richard will discuss with Tracey at this Thursday’s meeting of the mid-week group.
- Submissions for purchases need to go to Brimbank with information about the product and code numbers and Brimbank will arrange the purchases.
- The need for signage to publicise the work of the FOKC on various sites was discussed.
- GENERAL BUSINESS;
- Ferdi was interested in why there was no wetland water treatment construction on the new “THE ROYAL” development on Wright Street. Gerard thought that this is because the site is not considered a “greenfield” site as it has previously been built on and occupied.
- Some discussion was held concerning the letter from a resident regarding dumping of rubbish.
- Some discussion was held on contact through the website which does not appear to be getting through;
- Ferdi suggested that the group could get business cards printed to give at meetings, plantings etc as a means of improving knowledge about the group and how to make contact.
- Tony sought a temporary replacement as he will not be able to attend the next 2 meetings. Karin agreed to step in.
MEETING CLOSED 8:30 pm
Next Meeting – To be Arranged and Announced
DON’T FORGET OUR WORKING BEES – TURN UP FOR AS LONG OR LITTLE AS YOU LIKE (10.00 – 12.00)
BUCKINGHAM RESERVE WORKING BEES – ON HOLD but usually 1st SATURDAY IN THE MONTH
CARTER ST WORKING BEES – ON HOLD – To be advised
MID WEEK MAINTENANCE GROUP – 1st and 3rd THURSDAY of the month (weather permitting)
PROPOSED SCHEDULE OF MEETINGS FOR 2015