MINUTES OF MEETING
HELD TUESDAY 8th April 2014
Harvester Room Hampshire Road Sunshine
Present: Linda Roberts, Tony de Gabriele, Glenda and Peter Kueng, Richard Piesse, Renate Haehnsen, Ingrid Duenzl, Gerard Morel, Gordon Simpson, Anne Beevers, Colin and Avis Dunne
Apologies, Rosemary Armstrong, Charles Nash, Ferdi Saliba;
Meeting opened 7:10 pm.
- PREVIOUS MINUTES
- One correction to previous minutes is to remove the reference to the meeting being an Annual General Meeting. This has been corrected in these minutes.
- SITE REPORTS
- Buckingham Reserve – Clean up of weeds and other maintenance activities conducted.
- Midweek Working Group – To start more activity in May with Tracey contributing some tasks. Beachley needs weeding, but the group is open to other suggestions.
- Carter Street – No Activity.
- Davitt Drive Area – Weeding and watering conducted – more plants could be put in with the reedy plants on the edge of the water doing well, but weeds are a problem. Some of the remaining grant money could be spent on fixing Davitt drive, taking into account the salinity of the water, prone to flooding and the weeds.
- Jones Creek – The drainage pipe has been put through with the loss of some of the planting. The surviving plants are doing very well.
- CLEAN UP AUSTRALIA DAY
- Large amount of rubbish cleaned up from Robinson Road behind Westwood Drive
- Davitt Drive also had a large amount of rubbish collected.
- SECRETARY’s REPORT
- Nil to Report
- TREASURER’s REPORT
- Various grants means that there is over $10,000 in the bank account, however this money is mostly allocated to Jones Creek projects 1 and 2.
- Gerard has written to Ray Sheridan regarding the opportunity of projects for graduates but has heard nothing more.
- Jones Creek – Stage 2
- 800 plants ordered and the date of planting has been set to 17 May;
- Site preparation arrangements to be done by Rosie
- Promotion to be done includes a banner, a press release,
- Materials to be organized include stakes, guards and water crystals.
- FOKC was unsuccessful for RRL grant for Fraser Street and the reason was that other community groups had better claims against the priorities set by the RRL
- Thiess Grants
- Money still has not been received.
- MELBOURNE WATER – Gerard Morel
- City West Water are dealing with a resident taking water from the creek in the Tower Street area;
- Another grant application is being undertaken for a reserve near Melton which contains remnant Red Gums. The grant will pay for 800 plants, stakes, and guards with volunteers to be sought from the Melton area. The FOKC trailer would assist with this work. Nearby Prickly Pear will be tackled by a combined effort from Melbourne Water, Parks Victoria and the neighbor.
- Planting is to start on the Orica owned site opposite Orica on the north side of Ballarat Road. This starts in the next 2 to 3 weeks and will put in 4000 trees.
- Work is also being done north of the Macedonian Centre up to Somerville Road on the east side of the creek;
- Forrest Street remediation has been sprayed and planting is to come.
- GENERAL BUSINESS;
- Avis will visit Bunnings to have a look at a weeder tool that could be bought using the Council Grant of $500. Tony will check out options for hats. Karin will advise whether litter-pickers are needed for Davitt drive.
- Linda has requested a new meeting space within the Visy Hub because of the future closing of the Library building.
- Renate raised the spreading of Aloe Vera on the east side of Kororoit Creek, south of Wright Street. She will write to Gerard with the details.
MEETING CLOSED approx 8.40pm
Next Meeting –Tuesday 10th June
DON’T FORGET OUR WORKING BEES – TURN UP FOR AS LONG OR LITTLE AS YOU LIKE (10.00 – 12.00)
BUCKINGHAM RESERVE WORKING BEES – 1st SATURDAY IN THE MONTH
CARTER ST WORKING BEES – 3rd SATURDAY IN THE MONTH,
MID WEEK MAINTENANCE GROUP – 1st and 3rd THURSDAY of the month (weather permitting)
DAVITT DRIVE WORKING BEES – As required
PROPOSED SCHEDULE OF MEETINGS FOR 2014
(All second Tuesdays of the month at 7 pm at the Harvester Meeting Room)
Annual General Meeting
Christmas Dinner Meeting