MINUTES OF MEETING
HELD TUESDAY 9th June 2015
President: Linda Roberts
Secretary: Tony de Gabriele
Treasurer: Linda Roberts
North Sunshine Tennis Club
Present: Linda Roberts, Gerard Morel, Ashley Renaut, Glenda Kueng, Jodie Williams, Jessica Gerger, Dominique Wisniewski, Richard Piesse, Anne Beevers, Avis & Colin Dunne, Karin Saliba.
Apologies, Gordon Simpson, Louise Nicholson, Ingrid Duenzl, Renate Haehnsen, Ferdi Saliba, Peter Kueng.
Meeting opened 7:10 pm.
- A quick introduction and welcome was conducted by President Linda Roberts.
- Minutes of Last Meeting
- Minutes were taken and accepted as read.
Moved: Anne Beevers Seconded: Dominique Wisniewski
- SITE REPORTS
- Buckingham Reserve:
- A Brimbank Council planting was held on 30th May, 2015. There were about 400 flax plants planted by 46 people many of whom were local Girl Guides and their families.
- Council have placed a perimeter of empty tree guards around the site to protect the plants from contractor’s mowers.
- Midweek Working Group: – Tracey has organised for the group to continue planting at Gurnung Drive, Cairnlea. 150 Dianellas and 80 Geraniums have been added this year. Planting doing well.
- Carter Street – No Activity
- Davitt Drive – No Activity
- Jones Creek: – Water leak from burst water main has been repaired. Many of plants planted in phase 2 were destroyed during the repair work; FOKC have requested $1,700 in reimbursement from DKM for replanting. Still waiting on a response. We should have enough money to have this work done by a contractor or may be carried out by FOKC and volunteers. To date mulch has been dispersed over the site.
- Jones Creek – Phase 3 Project
- Work in phases 1 and 2 have been undertaken over the past two years. Many local families, FOKC members and Scout groups have taken part in the plantings. A big thank you to everyone.
- Phase 3, West Side of Creek. A planting day has been scheduled for Saturday 27th June from 9.30am-12.30. BBQ provided. Plants to be delivered to Gerard’s home the week before.
- Twelve students from Caroline Chisholm Secondary College are helping out on the 27th June.
- Linda to check whether we need to buy guards and/or stakes
- Gerard to design a flyer to be distributed into local letter boxes and the FOKC banner to be placed on the fence one week before.
- Karin to enquire from Martha at Brimbank City Council and from Bunning’s, about buying 100 planting hoops to help soil and water retention when planting on steep slopes.
- Karin and Ferdi to bring water pumps along.
- National Tree Day, Sunday 26th July
- There are various sites where planting will be done.
- Sydenham Park
- Ardoyne Street Sunshine
- Harris Reserve, Marsh Street, Altona North (a special request for help from FOLKC)
- Ardoyne Street; – The FOKC trailer to be located at the end of Ardoyne Street for easy access to tools and BBQ. This may need to be changed as Ardoyne St. is difficult to access with trailer.
- Ashley has offered to use auger to drill holes for plants, the group will need 1 of the water pumps. Gerard will try to be at Altona Nth & then Sunshine. Karin & Ferdi will be at the Altona Nth site.
- Phu Dong Scout group will help out on the day. They will need to be accompanied to the toilets at Buckingham Reserve. The scouts will be asked to help out at the follow up planting at Jones Creek on Sunday 16th August. Fluorescent tape will be used to define a safe working area for the children.
- RMIT Students – Upper Kororoit Creek Site – Melton
- The original Red Gums adorn this beautiful site which will be a future housing development site.
- All weed removal of boxthorn and prickly pear has been done. Blackberries have been sprayed. Invoices of $1,375 and $1,865 for work done have not yet been received by FOKC.
- Planting Day Sunday 19th July. Helpers required. About 1,000 plants to be planted.
- Gerard to prepare map of exact location for circulation.
- It was suggested that the RMIT students contact the Melton Council the local Melton land care group for volunteers.
- TREASURER’s REPORT
- Balance = $13,363.78
- Balance of money not committed to projects is $951.61
- Scheduled for Monday 15 June at 2.30pm
- Ferdi Saliba and Dominique Wisniewski have offered to attend.
- Gerard has asked if the FOKC reps could enquire whether Orica are planning to do any more planting on their creek frontage, which is highly visible from Ballarat Road, with or without Melbourne Water’s support?
- Last year’s corporate planting was a great success with about 500 groundcovers supplied by MW.
- Gerard also asked that our reps mention the Greening the West’s Million Trees funding, which Orica may be eligible for.
- No report
- Jodie Williams and Jessica Gerger are locals, keen to get more people involved in an ongoing litter pick-up.
- Jodie and friends go for a clean-up walk most Sundays at 4pm. The aim is to do a social 30 minute walk, picking up rubbish along the way, from the Derby Road footbridge and along Kororoit Creek.
- Also very keen on stormwater drain stencilling and educating the community.
- The group would like to link in with FOKC with a Friends Agreement with Council. They have already held talks with the Conservation Team. This idea was well accepted, especially with the possibility of joint cooperation and participation between all.
- GENERAL BUSINESS;
- Linda advised that Orica have indicated they will sponsor the Group with some ongoing funding.
- Brimbank Council have asked the various FOKC sub groups to apply for tools/plants up to the value of $500. Goods need to be bought and invoice paid for before the end of the financial year. Mid week working group have already supplied there request to council.
- FOKC Web Site has been hacked. Linda was approached by Helen Snee saying we need a major upgrade of the site. Linda has given the go ahead to Helen for the upgrade. Avis mentioned that it has not been updated recently and was a little tired looking. Avis has a contact from someone volunteering to help us keep the site fresh and current. Linda to follow up.
MEETING CLOSED 8:45 pm
Next Meeting – Tuesday August 11
Following Meeting – AGM Tuesday October 13
DON’T FORGET OUR WORKING BEES – TURN UP FOR AS LONG OR LITTLE AS YOU LIKE (10.00 – 12.00)
BUCKINGHAM RESERVE WORKING BEES – ON HOLD – To be advised
CARTER ST WORKING BEES – ON HOLD – To be advised
MID WEEK MAINTENANCE GROUP – 1st and 3rd THURSDAY of the month (weather permitting)