MINUTES OF ORDINARY MEETING
HELD TUESDAY 11th October 2011
SUNSHINE MOTOR INN, 608 BALLARAT RD SUNSHINE
Present: Linda Roberts, Tony de Gabriele, Gordon Simpson, Colin and Avis Dunne, Charles Nash, Renate Haehnsen, Maureen Edwards, Glenda and Peter Kueng, Anne Beevers, Karin Saliba, Ingrid Duenzl, Martha Ragg;
Apologies Richard Piesse, Gerard Morel, Rosemary Armstrong, Ferdi Saliba;
Meeting opened 7:00 pm
- Welcome was made to the all, including introducing David Swain who is one of the new owners of the Sunshine Motor Inn. The restaurant has been renamed Blazed Bar and Grill.
- AGM Meeting
- President’s Report – A detailed report was presented providing some statistics on the operations of the Friends group for 2011;
- Elections were held for office bearers for the group with the following results:
- President: Linda Roberts – Nominated Avis, Seconded Renate – Carried
- Vice President: Avis Dunne – Nominated Linda, Seconded Gordon – Carried
- Secretary: Tony de Gabriele – Nominated Linda, Seconded Gordon – Carried
- Treasurer: Vacant – Linda to undertake role – Nominated Anne, Seconded Glenda – Carried
- Historian: Renate Haehnsen – Nominated Gordon, Seconded Anne – Carried
- Minutes of Last Meeting
- Acceptance of Minutes – Moved Tony, Seconded Karin – Carried;
- SITE REPORTS
- Buckingham Reserve – Martha reported that progress is according to plan. There has been some vandalism, but this is being addressed as it occurs.
- Midweek Working Group – Lots of growth that needs addressing, and the snake season is approaching.
- Carter Street – Plants placed in the sloping area in front of rocks are not surviving – it was suggested that binding type plants be tried. It was noted that someone has been planting gum trees between Ridgeway Parade and Carter Street;
- Davitt Drive Area –Walking track on north side has new plantings across path – this also crosses the paths that trail bikes were using.
- Rabbit control baits are being used at Buckingham, Tower Street and a number of other sites.
- No support cheque received yet, however Orica will be providing a donation of $750 and are providing a location for storing the group trailer;
- Discussions about the future of the site and nearby areas are continuing and group members are attending the community consultations;
- Orica are still testing ground water quality
- There is still some money remaining from the brochure project.
- Minutes have been put up on the website as suggested;
- Regular updates are being made;
- There is still some interest in getting this up and running at some stage.
- GENERAL BUSINESS;
- Martha thanked and congratulated the group for their efforts during the year;
- Martha flagged some items for 2012:
- Work at Isabella Williams, Buckingham Reserve and the extension of Beachley Reserve;
- Carter Street extension options could be looked at using Maureen’s plants – this to be looked at after a visit with Tracey, but will probably require 2 summers of weed control;
- OHS will be changing with the changes to laws from 1 January 2012 – the main thing is that Volunteers are now the same category as workers so a new agreement will be needed, sign in paper work and site inductions will need to be done; and the Council will be auditing these;
- The Biodiversity strategy workshops were coming up with one at Glengala on 27 Oct – members encouraged to get involved.
- Report about Melbourne Water project covered:
- Pricking out of the seed sprouts will be probably early November and assistance from members will be sought;
- Grant is being applied for this project;
- Negotiations with Mambourin to use their premises were still continuing, with the issues of Public Liability and associated insurance being a potential obstacle; Questions about the need for a police check, the fixing of the sprinkler system, how access would work are all part of the discussions;
- Karin and Maureen meeting with Gerard to finalise grant paperwork;
- Opportunity to extend the work of the Friends group or create a new Friends group, with the hand back of land by Delfin to the Shire of Melton – contact is Giorgio de Nala;
- Land at Fraser Street was discussed – Sunday 30th October will be a public meeting to discuss this matter on site;
- Members were reminded that the next meeting is the Christmas dinner, with final location to be advised with a nominal 29 November RSVP date.
MEETING CLOSED approx 8.45
Next Meeting – CHRISTMAS DINNER MEETING
13th DECEMBER 2011, 6:30 pm
DON’T FORGET OUR WORKING BEES – TURN UP FOR AS LONG OR LITTLE AS YOU LIKE (10.00 – 12.00)
BUCKINGHAM RESERVE WORKING BEES – 1st SATURDAY IN THE MONTH
CARTER ST WORKING BEES – 3rd SATURDAY IN THE MONTH,
MID WEEK MAINTENANCE GROUP – 1st and 3rd THURSDAY of the month (weather permitting)
DAVITT DRIVE WORKING BEES – As required
PROPOSED SCHEDULE OF MEETINGS FOR 2012
(All second Tuesdays of the month at 7 pm at the Sunshine Motor Inn)
Annual General Meeting
Christmas Dinner Meeting