MINUTES OF ORDINARY MEETING
HELD TUESDAY 14th August 2012
Harvester Room Hampstead Road Sunshine
Present: Linda Roberts, Tony de Gabriele, Gordon Simpson, Colin and Avis Dunne, Richard Piesse, Renate Haehnsen, Maureen Edwards, Glenda and Peter Kueng, Anne Beevers, Ingrid Duenzl, Karin Saliba, Charles Nash
Apologies, Ferdi Saliba, Gerard Morel, Rosemary Armstrong
Meeting opened 7:05 pm
- Welcome was made to the all for the second meeting at this new venue.
- Minutes of Last Meeting
- Acceptance of Minutes – Moved Tony, Seconded Glenda – Carried;
- SITE REPORTS
- Buckingham Reserve – Two planting days held with plants supplied by Maureen going in the ground at two sites – existing plantings, and new area within Brimbank’s “Zone 2”. Cleaning up stakes and guards and rubbish also carried out on planting days. The public toilets were locked on both occasions so people having barbecues couldn’t make use of them. This has been reported to the Council;
- Midweek Working Group – Very active again with plantings at Cairnlea and planning to do work at Selwyn Park. Photos have been supplied for the website. Ingrid commented that the planting held by the council at Isabella Williams was poorly prepared with only shallow holes provided requiring further digging before the plants could be planted properly.
- Carter Street – Weed growth is widespread and future working bees will tackle this problem. Some consideration is being given to improving the areas around the Forrest Street Bridge area
- Davitt Drive Area – Planting of propagated plants was held on 11 August, with a successful turnout of around 20 people who put in about 800 plants (juncus, poas and sedges) along the creek edge. Some plants remain to go in, but further ground preparation is needed. Karin expressed her thanks to all who turned up to assist. Richard commented that planting by contractors was done at the wildflower garden, and there were 10 different plants in flower at the moment.
- SECRETARY’s REPORT
- Notice sent to Council about rubbish at Forrest Street bridge. This had been reported as cleaned up, though Anne reported that some has returned.
- Avis said there was hard rubbish being dumped near the creek around her area. She would send an email with photos to the Secretary for on-forwarding to Council;
- Members reported that an interpretive sign at Davitt drive had been damaged by scratching, making it difficult to repair;
- Another report was made of unknown criminals throwing rocks at cars travelling along Ballarat Road in the early hours of the morning. They were hiding under the bridge over the creek near the Deer Park Hotel;
- TREASURER’s REPORT
- Current balance is $6,200 – of that about $1,745 was not committed; however printing costs for the new brochure could still be outstanding. Linda to check with Vince.
- A follow up email regarding Orica’s intention to support was sent by the President and a response is still awaited.
- Orica is in the process of demolishing some buildings, and the trailer has been moved to a new storage location on the Orica site.
- The Melbourne Water grant activity took place on August 11.
- Further planning is needed as to where this goes next.
- Richard Ackers conducted training at Linda’s place with two members in attendance;
- The calibration solutions were confirmed as being old and unusable while the pH meter was not working properly.
- Richard is to provide updated solutions and a new working pH meter;
- Richard also described Frog Watch and this is an activity that would be appropriate for the Spring/Summer;
- Linda has written to Richard to follow up on the material supply;
- Presentation was made to Ingrid of the first jacket because it was through her persistence that these have now been purchased.
- The money was provided by Brimbank Council but had to come out of the 2012/2013 grant money because of late invoicing by the supplier;
- To be distributed at the end of the meeting;
- BUS TRIP
- A date of 27 October has been agreed with Gerard;
- Bus size and numbers yet to be determined;
- Linda has secured a driver;
- Gerard has suggested an itinerary starting with the Sunbury end of the creek and finishing with the Altona end – leaving the middle out as this is mostly familiar to members;
- Details need to be sorted out so that an email can communication can be made with members;
- GENERAL BUSINESS;
- Book of Plants of the Western Plans was launched recently and is a fabulous book. The publishers are making this available to member for FOKC for $15. Eleven members have requested this book. Tony to send an email out about this offer to the members list;
- Room hire invoice has been received. Because of public liability, the cost will be $65.25 for the meetings held during calendar 2012. A new venue needs to be found because the centre will be closing for refurbishment in the near future.
- Friends of the Organ Pipes is celebrating their 40th birthday with displays and activities. The Friends of Kororoit Creek agree that this is a worthwhile event and will field a stand, including the presence of the trailer. Date is November 11 which is a Sunday.
- Gerard asked (email) if there was interest in a propagation event again. There is general interest from the meeting that the propagation was a worthwhile event and should be held again. The location of the event was important with members indicating they were not willing to travel out of the area to do this. Several members noted that polystyrene boxes are available for nothing from the IGA in Hampshire Road Sunshine.
- Linda said that she was asked by the Sunshine Scout Group to make a presentation to a cub who had achieved his environment badge by helping the Friends of Kororoit Creek undertake plantings and clean ups this year. Linda was going on Thursday – Tony suggesting coming along to get some photos.
MEETING CLOSED approx 8.20pm
Jackets were distributed to those members present. Several were remaining and will be distributed at working bees.
Next Meeting –
9th October 2012, 7:00 pm incorporating the AGM
DON’T FORGET OUR WORKING BEES – TURN UP FOR AS LONG OR LITTLE AS YOU LIKE (10.00 – 12.00)
BUCKINGHAM RESERVE WORKING BEES – 1st SATURDAY IN THE MONTH
CARTER ST WORKING BEES – 3rd SATURDAY IN THE MONTH,
MID WEEK MAINTENANCE GROUP – 1st and 3rd THURSDAY of the month (weather permitting)
DAVITT DRIVE WORKING BEES – As required
PROPOSED SCHEDULE OF MEETINGS FOR 2012
Christmas Dinner Meeting