MINUTES OF ORDINARY MEETING
HELD TUESDAY 9th August 2011
SUNSHINE MOTOR INN, 608 BALLARAT RD SUNSHINE
Present:, Tony de Gabriele, Richard Piesse, Gordon Simpson, Colin and Avis Dunne, Charles Nash, Gerard Morel, Renate Haehnsen, Maureen Edwards, Glenda and Peter Kueng, Anne Beevers, Karin Saliba;
Apologies Linda Roberts, Martha Ragg, Rosemary Armstrong, Ingrid Duenzl, Ferdi Saliba;
Meeting opened 7:00 pm
- Welcome was made to the all, especially Karin who is attending for the first time.
- Minutes of Last Meeting
- Something went wrong with the distribution of the minutes by email so many attendees did not have copies;
- To be resent.
- TREASURER’S REPORT
- To be provided by email as details are not available;
- SITE REPORTS
- Buckingham Reserve – A pile of mulch was spread around the July plantings. Good attendance of seven people.
- Midweek Working Group – Did some planting at Cairnlea/Eaglehawk. Rabbits have been eating some of the plants but council is planning some poisoning;
- Carter Street – No activity last month;
- Davitt Drive Area – The community planting was well attended by about 20 people with the result that the plants ran out before 11:30. Generally the area is looking good.
- A support cheque was received at the last community meeting and is thought to be with Linda.
- Orica have explained that planting can be problematic because site remediation will result in plantings being affected;
- However there is a spot opposite the pub which is not due to be remediated and so planting can go ahead. This will be for next year;
- Orica wanted the Friends group to do the planting, however there is money available from Melbourne Water so they will send Orica a proposal.
- The Friends group has to be aware of this because Orica may make contact with us for this task.
- Discussion was conducted on potential projects, including grants that Melbourne Water have available.
- Gerard is keen to get plants to infill under trees – shrubs, grasses and the like because between the trees is an opportunity for weeds;
- He is thinking of a site left of the bridge at Davitt Drive, heading north;
- A project team will gather at Karin’s place to further the discussion. This includes Maureen, Gerard, Gordon and Karin.
- Continuing to be maintained and used by some as a meeting reminder;
- The suggestion was made to put meeting minutes on the website;
- There is still some interest in getting this up and running at some stage.
- BILLIE TEA TALES
- A number of people have now seen this and think that it is very good;
- Richard has asked The Living Museum of the West if they would be interested in organizing a screening;
- GENERAL BUSINESS;
- Gerard provided an update on Melbourne Water activities;
- Weed tree removals have occurred;
- Nearly all the 4500 plants are in – types include red gums, blackwood, sweet bursaria and bottle brushes;
- There are plans to improve the section from Station Street to Clarke Road, which is about 10 kilometers;
- Work will also be done near the creek on the Vic Roads side opposite More Park but this won’t happen until mid 2012;
- There is a strip of land south of Ballarat road that could be a future remediation project – it’s a small strip of land;
- Glenda raised an issue about preventing trail bikes around Davitt Drive. Gerard pointed out that the plan is to use plantings to further restrict trail bike access;
- Richard has a brochure from 1986 produced by the Living Museum of the West (LMW) that provides information about the Kororoit Creek;
- He has approached them about reprinting it with an update from the Friends, including photos. Helen of the LMW is pursuing this.
MEETING CLOSED approx 8.20 –
Next Meeting – ANNUAL GENERAL MEETING
11th OCTOBER 2011, 7 pm
DON’T FORGET OUR WORKING BEES – TURN UP FOR AS LONG OR LITTLE AS YOU LIKE (10.00 – 12.00)
BUCKINGHAM RESERVE WORKING BEES – 1st SATURDAY IN THE MONTH
CARTER ST WORKING BEES – 3rd SATURDAY IN THE MONTH,
MID WEEK MAINTENANCE GROUP – 1st and 3rd THURSDAY of the month (weather permitting)
DAVITT DRIVE WORKING BEES – As required
PROPOSED SCHEDULE OF MEETINGS FOR 2011
(All second Tuesdays of the month at 7 pm at the Sunshine Motor Inn)
Annual General Meeting
Christmas Dinner Meeting